The benefits of Vitamin C in skincare
Vitamin C has been a staple in our diets and skincare products for years. It is considered by many as a hero ingredient but what is Vitamin C and what does it do for the skin?
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that is required by our bodies to assist in the growth and repair of tissues. Our bodies cannot produce Vitamin C, but it can be found naturally in fruit and vegetables such as citrus fruits, berries, broccoli, capsicum, and tomatoes etc. It is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient that can help to protect against skin damage from the sun and harmful free radicals.
There are different forms of Vitamin C that are used in skin care. Looking at the ingredient listing will tell you the type of Vitamin C used. Concentrations may also vary from product to product.
Some of the most common forms used in skincare products include:
L-Ascorbic Acid – Vitamin C at its purest. Also known as Ascorbic Acid.
Ascorbic Glucoside – a gentler form of Vitamin C that when absorbed into the skin is converted to L-Ascorbic Acid. Perfect for a skin that may be more on the sensitive side.
Ascorbyl Palmitate – an oil-soluble version of Vitamin C that the skin can readily absorb.
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP) – a stable form of Vitamin C that is good for skins that are prone to sensitivity. It has the same great benefits of L-Ascorbic Acid.
Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate – A stable, water soluble form of Vitamin C that works with enzymes in the skin to release pure L-Ascorbic Acid.
Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate – An oil soluble form of Vitamin C that can penetrate further into the skin and has potent collagen boosting and antioxidant properties. Will also convert to Ascorbic Acid in the skin.
What are the benefits of Vitamin C in skincare?
Vitamin C can be safely used by most skin types and has multi-faceted benefits.
- Brightening and fading – excellent for helping to lighten pigmentation, dark spots, even out skin tone and dull skin. Vitamin C can help to inhibit melanin production in the skin.
- Reduce redness – the anti-inflammatory action on the skin helps to calm redness.
- Boost collagen production – Vitamin C is known for promoting collagen production. Vitamin C is an essential component for two enzymes required for collagen production in the skin.
- Protection against sun damage – being a powerful antioxidant, Vitamin C protects the skins cells and helps to neutralise harmful free radicals.
- Anti-ageing benefits – due to its ability to help promote collagen and brighten the skin, Vitamin C is a potent ingredient to incorporate into an ageing preventative regime.
Prodermal’s range of recommended Vitamin C products:
- Société Even Out Dark Spot Corrector – a supercharged serum that addresses uneven skin tone, sun damage and dark spots. Contains both Ascorbyl Glucoside and Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate.
- Société Triple C Vitamin Therapy Serum – a blend of three stabilized forms of Vitamin C (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Ascorbyl Glucoside and Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate). Provides maximum anti-ageing, anti-pigmentation and skin brightening benefits with low irritation.
- Cosmedix Pure C Vitamin C Mixing Crystals – 100% pure L-Ascorbic Acid. Designed to mix a small amount in with serums, moisturisers etc. Not recommended for highly sensitive or easily irritated skins.
- Cosmedix Simply Brilliant – using 10 brightening ingredients including Ascorbic Acid to improve dull, pigmented, and uneven skin tone.
- Cosmedix Glow Mask – brightening mask to even out skin tone, improves radiance and clarity. Contains Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate.
- asap Super C Serum – containing a high concentration of L-Ascorbic Acid (20%) to stimulate collagen. Also provides excellent free radical protection and promotes a brighter, more even complexion.
- Aspect Extreme C 20 – contains an oil soluble Vitamin C (called Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate). Perfect for ageing skins and those needing calming and antioxidant protection.
- Aspect Fruit Enzyme Mask – an exfoliating and brightening mask utilising Ascorbic Acid. A great pick-me-up or pre-party mask.