Feeling like your skin is looking or feeling dry or dehydrated, suffering from breakouts or just feeling a little blah? Then adding in a serum or two to your routine can really help to boost the skin and treat conditions. Serums will have concentrated and active ingredients to really address specific concerns and can target anything from wrinkles, dehydration and acne to brightening and hydrating the skin.
When using serums, you are not limited to choosing only one. Using anywhere from one to three serums – known as layering – will enable you to target and treat multiple skin conditions at one time or really concentrate on a particular concern.
Step by step layering guide
- Start with clean skin. Cleansing will remove any dirt and debris from the skin and allow for better penetration of the serums.
- Decide what you want to target or treat. Identifying the conditions or concerns will help you to choose the right serums. Eg is it anti-ageing, calming, hydration, brightening or breakouts.
- Start with the lightest one. When layering serums, we recommend starting with the lightest textured serum (ie the more water based ones) and moving on to the heavier ones (more oil based). This will allow for optimal penetration and absorption into the skin.
- Use morning and night. You can layer serums both morning and night. Some serums are designed more for the day eg. Vitamin C serums and others for evening eg. Vitamin A serum. Serums such as Vitamin B and hyaluronic acid hydrating serums can be used both morning and night.
- Target the concern. You don’t need to use all the serums all over the face each time you apply. By applying only to the area you are concerned with, you will target this area specifically but also won’t go through your product as quickly! Eg. Use an acne breakout serum only on spots and blackheads and a hydrating serum on the rest of the face.
- After applying serums wait a minute to allow them to absorb and continue with your regular moisturiser, eye cream and spf (during the day).
Below are some general options for layering serums for different skin conditions or concerns. Depending on your individual skin types and concerns there are many different serum options from the different product brands. For an individually tailored skin serum program please reach out to our team who will be more than happy to help you reach your skin care goals.
Option 1: Vitamin B and Vitamin C in the morning, Vitamin B and Retinol (Vitamin A) in the evening
Option 2: Antioxidant/Peptide and Vitamin B in the morning, Prebiotic serum and Retinol (Vitamin A) in the evening
Dry or Dehydration:
Option 1: Vitamin B and Hyaluronic Acid (hydrating) in the morning, Vitamin B and Hyaluronic Acid (hydrating) in the evening
Option 2: Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C in the morning, Hyaluronic Acid and Peptide/Antioxidant in the evening
Dull or Pigmentation:
Option 1: Vitamin C and Hydrating serum in the morning, Brightening serum in the evening
Option 2: Brightening serum and hydrating serum in the morning, Retinol/Vitamin A in the evening
Acne or breakout:
Option 1: Hydrating serum and Calming serum in the morning, Acne spot treatment and Hydrating serum in the evening
Option 1: Calming serum and Vitamin B in the morning, Calming serum and Prebiotic or Hydrating serum in the evening