Without proper cleansing our skin can look dull and dehydrated, become irritated and suffer from conditions such as congestion and break out. We often blame other factors such as allergies, product use or sensitive skin, when in fact a thorough cleansing routine can be the answer.
Cleansing is a crucial step in any skincare regime – both in the clinic and at home.
Remember that using an acid-balanced cleanser will protect the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
Insufficient cleansing time can reduce the effectiveness of the routine. Remember to dedicate a minute or two to your cleansing routine to reap maximum benefit.
A TYPICAL ROUTINE
- Cleanse twice. The first cleanse (pre-cleanse) removes superficial dirt, grime and make-up. The second cleanse results in “squeaky clean” skin. It is recommended that you use both a pre-cleanse and cleansing product.
- Remember to cleanse into the hairline, around the ears and down the neck, focusing on areas of congestion.
- Use gentle light massage movements for at least one minute (be careful not to go too close to the eye area – use a specific eye cleanser for this area).
MORNING AND EVENINGS
It is important to follow your cleansing routine both in the morning and the evening.
- Although your skin may not feel ‘dirty’ in the morning it is important to complete a morning cleanse. Heavier night time cream residue, dead skin cells and sweat can all stick to the skin during the night. A morning cleanse sets the skin up for the day to allow for the day creams, makeup, sunscreen etc to be applied and work on the skin.
- The evening cleanse will ‘wash away the day’. Makeup, daily pollution and grime can all build up on our skin without us knowing. Cleansing at night will refresh and allow the skin to facilitate your night time regenerative treatments.
REMOVAL OF CLEANSERS
If residue from the cleansing products is left behind, it can cause the skin to congest, break out and/or become irritated.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Then using a wet face cloth or soft face sponge gently wipe away the excess cleanser from the skin.
By cleansing thoroughly and regularly you are well on your way to a healthier, clearer, cleaner skin. Let us know how you go.
If you’re interested in this topic, check out our article on your perfect cleansing routine in our skincare blog